Sunday, May 31, 2009

Capitol moments

We got back from DC Thursday night where we spent 5 days exploring the city, enjoying family and wondering at East Coast weather. I much preferred the rain because it cooled us off after what started to be oppressive heat. However, I hated the rain when it delayed our homebound flight by 2.5 hours on the tarmac. No matter, Nate was a champ.

We took a daytrip to Mount Vernon. We toured the mansion, saw the 16-sided barn, and walked down to the wharf. We met authentic peasants and passed sheep, goats and bulls. It was a really nice day, I must say. The rains presumably scared away all the tourists. Here's Nate holding Washy's hand (I guess GW's son was nicknamed Washy?).



Aunt Claire and Uncle Brian did us a solid by babysitting on Sunday afternoon and Wednesday night, allowing us some time to see DC on non-Nate terms. Clearly everyone won with that arrangement. Nate loves his Tante Claire and Unca Brian, and their apartment held myriad joys in which to explore (and eat).





I found the Korean War Memorial to be pretty cool, as was the new Native American Museum which looked like a Frank Gehry and had by far THE best food on the Mall.




We stayed in Arlington with some of Dan's relatives who were really the nicest and most welcoming people I've ever met. We literally took over their house at night, trying to find the best situation for dealing with Nate's night feeds. Oh yes, night feeds. He never really adjusted to East Coast time and woke up multiple times each night. So you see, the trip kind of kicked our butts with the time difference. It's going to be a while before we muster up enough energy for another vacation, but we'll always have DC. More pics soon. :)

No comments: