Monday, May 31, 2010

Land of the Fairies

Quick poll: who has heard of Fairyland? No, not that mythical place in the forest that all little girls want to discover because that's where the fairies have tea parties. Instead, it's an awesome mini-Disneyland in the heart of Oakland! Go figure. Dan apparently knew all along, and had been many times as a child.

Kiera, Nate, Lisa and I ventured into the belly of Oaktown to check it out.

Here are the kiddos waiting in line for the Trolley, holding hands for safety.



Loving the crooked house; it was hard to coax him out. It's from some fairy tale that I hadn't heard of.


Kiera the Lion from Wizard of Oz! Rowwwwrr


A hidden slide


Nate cozies up to one of the Three Pigs. I think this was the smart pig, as you can see his brick house behind.



Nate and Kiera in Snow White's front yard with the dwarves. Nate is unimpressed with their landscaping. "I've got a guy who can build you a trench...."


Drinking water out of a lion's mouth!



Whale of a good time, I must say.


Nate's a lion too


There was even a puppet show around the Wind in the Willows gang, though the storyline was rather odd. And Nate took a tumble and has a wicked bruise on his cheek. We spent the last 20 minutes at Fairyland watching the kids run their energy out, Nate with hotdog in hand. We'll be back!

2 comments:

n k said...

I LOVE Fairyland!!
There was a crooked man and he walked a crooked mile,
He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse.
And they all lived together in a little crooked house

Nancy said...

I've heard of it but never been there. Thanks for the pics!